Any food Gurus for senior cats?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any food Gurus for senior cats?

My mum has a Persian cat that is 11 and was having trouble eating his kibble as it was too big. She changed him to senior kibble and after 3 weeks he is having farts (never did before) and soft stools. The problem is he has been eating Science Diet all his life. If we have to try a new food I would really like to try him on a food that is good for him but I'm wondering if anything with real meat and no corn would be too rich for him at this point in his life? Should she just stick to Science diet since thats what he's used too?
    sigpic

The best would be to get him on wet. Dry kibble is really hard on cats.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenmagick View Post
      The best would be to get him on wet. Dry kibble is really hard on cats.
      Ok, do you reccomend a certain kind? Should we expect some poo issues for awhile? I imagine the wet food is alot richer than the Science Diet? I imagine anything is richer than that ! LOL
      sigpic

Comment

Any low carb, high protein canned would be best, you want to vary flavors/brands so they don't get stuck on one as cats are picky. Have his teeth been checked? I wouldn't consider an 11 year old cat a senior yet and he shouldn't be having problems eating kibble, my cat is at least 14+ and eating raw, she cracks through chicken and turkey bones even with a broken canine. I wouldn't feed SD anything to a cat, they are so full of grains and sawdust it's ridiculous, cats are obligate carnivores and have no need for carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by GoingPostal View Post
          Any low carb, high protein canned would be best, you want to vary flavors/brands so they don't get stuck on one as cats are picky. Have his teeth been checked? I wouldn't consider an 11 year old cat a senior yet and he shouldn't be having problems eating kibble, my cat is at least 14+ and eating raw, she cracks through chicken and turkey bones even with a broken canine. I wouldn't feed SD anything to a cat, they are so full of grains and sawdust it's ridiculous, cats are obligate carnivores and have no need for carbs.

He's got the pushed in face, crappy mouth of a persian, a few teeth missing and then alot of crooked ones. He does go to the vet for check ups every year and the vet just keeps reccomending Science Diet which is why my mums been feeding him that. She said he's been trying to swallow it instead of chew and chokes on the big peices. Ill tell her to do soft food, i think she's tried it before but it was Science diet wet food. He does eat tuna (but not salmon, he wont touch it) so we should be able to find something he likes.

Since I have learned so much about quality food on here, i now know he shouldnt have been eating that in the first place!
          sigpic

Comment

TOTW makes a canned cat food...i switch between that and nature's instinct usually. Wish I could get them on raw but they are stubborn lol. BTW mine are 11 and 14 1/2

Comment

I'm one of "those" people... my old lady Kit-ten (12 y/o) had eaten Meow Mix all her life until we got the Maine Coon's. Then we switched to a meat based diet and canned food once a day. But they still free feed dry TOTW (not the fish kind, it makes them stink!), and get their can of food each night. I have never really had an overweight cat and we have always free fed ours. Kit-ten is the heaviest I have had and that is because she doesn't move. She sleeps almost all day now, only getting up to eat, potty, and get pettings.
              Some of the cheaper canned foods have good ingredients in them, you just have to read the back of all the cans, the same brand of food can have different quality ingredients while still charging the same price per can.
              sigpic
              My Crew
              The Danes:
              Ximmy - DOB 11/23/09, Sprocket - Gotcha Day - 8/14/11
              The Cats:
              Kit-ten Rescued 1999 - calico; Banshee Rescued 2007 - Maine Coon Mix; OnzaPous and ReignaPous DOB - 2/17/09 - Maine Coon's
              At the bridge: Thumper, Ditto & Chaos
              ~Dogs and cats instinctively know the exact moment their owners will wake up. Then they wake them 10 minutes sooner.~

Comment

I always recommend this website for people looking for info about cat nutrition. I believe the vet who wrote this also has a short list of some recommended foods as well. The wet diet has made a world of difference for my two girls. They are just about 15 and 14 years old and you would never know it to look at them or watch them.

www.catinfo.org
                Tamara and Deuce
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
                  I always recommend this website for people looking for info about cat nutrition. I believe the vet who wrote this also has a short list of some recommended foods as well. The wet diet has made a world of difference for my two girls. They are just about 15 and 14 years old and you would never know it to look at them or watch them.

www.catinfo.org
                  Great website! Thanks!

So I decided to get him Go grain free wet food and Now dry ( because my mom can't fathom not giving him dry food)

When I switched Dairy to grain free we went cold turkey, does the same apply to cats?
                  sigpic

Comment

yup, just do it.
                    sigpic
                    My Crew
                    The Danes:
                    Ximmy - DOB 11/23/09, Sprocket - Gotcha Day - 8/14/11
                    The Cats:
                    Kit-ten Rescued 1999 - calico; Banshee Rescued 2007 - Maine Coon Mix; OnzaPous and ReignaPous DOB - 2/17/09 - Maine Coon's
                    At the bridge: Thumper, Ditto & Chaos
                    ~Dogs and cats instinctively know the exact moment their owners will wake up. Then they wake them 10 minutes sooner.~

Comment

Just wanted to update and say thanks for the advise!

We switched cold turkey and his bowels within the hour went back to normal and his farts went away!
                      After two weeks on the new wet food he looks about 5 years younger, so much energy and his coat doesnt look scraggly anymore.
                      I think we probly added 5 years to Babys life!
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic

Comment

Yay for kitty!

We have a senior cat that has eaten whiskas (dunno if you guys have that in america, basically cat equivalent to pedigree) wet food all his life. Once we got Danes and found out about more quality food we switched him to Almo nature (Couldn't find anything better, and our vet sells it so it was handy). We feed him a mixture of wet and dry because the wet food is really expensive. We tried him on raw like our dogs but he didn't like it, he's such a picky eater. Switching him was so hard because he only likes crap food! My mom kept buying the bad food again because he wouldn't eat his good food, and it got to the point where I just got really mad and tried to explain why it was better so now she doesn't buy it anymore, thank god! Tough love approach, that food or no food and now he loves it! He's always been a really skinny kitty but he's put on some weight too which is great.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X