A HUGE pet-peeve...kinda a rant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A HUGE pet-peeve...kinda a rant

I have been scanning craigslist the last few weeks looking for a large crate for puppy (well, for when puppy gets big). Anyway, I have had to stop looking in the pet section on there b/c it just makes me SO MAD. I live in Columbus Ga. which is a military town. And it seems like every other post is about some "great" dog who is "great with kids" and a "beloved pet" but..... they are PCSing to another duty station, or overseas, and just can not keep their dog.

Whatever! I am a military wife. I have had a dog and a cat for 8 years. Midas has traveled all over the country and lived in 4 different states. And if we got stationed overseas, you bet he would be coming too.

I mean, would these people be leaving their son or daughter behind when they moved? I don't think so. When you take on the responsibility of a pet, they are a member of your family always, not just when it is convenient. A PCS is no excuse.
    sigpic

Here here! Navy wife here (can you tell?) and my dogs are coming with me, period, end of story. I told my husband not to wish too hard for an overseas duty station because if the dogs couldn't come, I wasn't going and he was gonna be there by himself. Or maybe with the kids.
    sigpic
    Shaun-4, Kairos (SDiT) at 13 weeks, Cole-6, and Zeus (CGC, PAT, TDI) 2yrs

Comment

I hate that, too. At least they are trying to find homes, though, instead of just leaving them at the house when they go. When we were stationed at Ft. Gordon, I can't tell you how many animals we had to try to find homes for / catch and drive to shelters because their families just moved on without them.
      - Missy

Tristan, born 3/23/10
      sigpic

Comment

Air Force wife here. My last dog moved with us every single time, even to Germany. Our new girl will go where ever we go as well. I don't get it either. If you don't think you can handle or afford the move with a pet, don't buy one. You are military so you know you are going to probably move at some point. It's a no brainer for us, but then again a lot of people don't have any brains... (rolling eyes)

Comment

I just got an email from a friend in NC who just adopted another friends two labs because they are moving to IL.... ?? WHAT!!?? I don't get it!
          Craigslist ppl drive me insane. I see it all the time. Puppy to rehome, she is great but we have had her for two weeks now and it's just not working out for us...!!!???? ARG!!!
          Last edited by Begabone; 10-10-2010, 04:29 PM.
          sigpic
          Tracy ~ wife(to Marshall) & mom to 3 skin kids (Devin, Cameron, Kaiden) & 2 fur kids (Cain & Leda) RIP my sweet Breech 8-12-09 to 9-18-10.

Comment

I'm with you on the CL people. Too many times, I've seen people get a puppy they don't have the time or resources to care for. Or worse yet, get a breed that is completely wrong for their lifestyle.
            We get a ton of compliments on our dogs.(Angus is a 4yr old brindled mastiff and Harley is our 3mo old harlequin dane) I'm careful to comment on the ammount of time we've put in to them. An uneducated owner can be the worst threat a dog will face.

Comment

This is why I don't look at Craigslist or other classifieds sites!
              Katie & Scarlett
              sigpic

Comment

Amen to everything said thus far. I live so close to Wright Patterson AFB I hear reveille in the morning and it's the same thing here. I just don't get people. If you know you're only going to be stationed here for a few years and you don't want to screw with taking your dog along when you move on, why get the dog? I can answer my own question though; as a society, we lack a sense of responsibility. We are "entitled" to this, that, and the other without having to earn them. We want immediate gratification instead of having to work toward a goal. And if we have a problem, we blame it on someone else or pawn off the problem on someone more responsible: I spilled coffee on my crotch, lets sue Mcdonalds! My kid is too fat, let's sue Burger King! Drunk driving, let's sue Jack Daniels! Don't want to bother with the dog anymore, dump him at the pound! Unfortunately, since we take in their unwanted pets for the sake of the animal, their behavior is reinforced and they do the same thing again and again.
                sigpicIs it dinnertime yet?

Comment

Originally posted by crutcher1212 View Post
                  I'm with you on the CL people. Too many times, I've seen people get a puppy they don't have the time or resources to care for. Or worse yet, get a breed that is completely wrong for their lifestyle.
                  I went to my Nannie's today and one of my cousin's told me that his brother (my other cousin) just got a new dog. I know I had to have grimaced. He didn't say much after that.

I just rehomed his "other" dog (a CL maltipoo) a little over a year ago (because he couldn't "potty train" her and she was "ruining" his brand new carpet in his brand new house. Well yea, when you're gone ALL DAY and leave a tiny puppy loose in your house .. yeah .. it's gonna elimiate everywhere! Whatever. I found her a new home and was pretty confident that he wasn't getting another dog. His carpet seemed pretty important to him.

Well, I was wrong. He just got a CL Yorkie puppy .. of all the dogs he could have gotten .. he got one of the hardest breeds to house train (his main gripe with the other dog). Something tells me I will be finding this little dog a home in the not so distant future (or bringing it home myself .. probably not though .. 5 dogs is enough for our house I think).

I wish people would think before they buy.
                  sigpic
                  A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Comment

We just rescued two chihuahuas someone had abandoned when they lost their house. They just moved and left the dogs there to fend for themselves. They are the sweetest dogs. It is so sad how people treat their so called pets.

Comment

I just told my hubby (Army) that I would prefer if he did not request a duty station outside of the contiguous 48 states after watching a video on living on the Australia base and reading an article about taking your pets to an overseas duty station. If we were stationed somewhere esle, we would pay the cost come hell or high water to get the dogs moved, but there are just so many dangers associated with shipping them and with the quarantine process! But I knew that going in; if you're in the military it's not a mystery. I see abandoned dogs all the time too because someone got deployed and the spouse doesn't want to deal or the whole family is moving to a new duty station. It's heart-wrenching, I agree.
                      Misty, Leonidas (Dane), and Valor (Pomeranian Mix)
                      Current 52 Photo Project:http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDu8ALZ

Comment

I don't understand these people either. We are not military, but my husband was a high level Exec. for a major global corporation until he recently joined my consultancy. This company developed executives through rotating them into various business units and locations.

So during the course of our married lives thus far, we have lived in Ohio, Michigan, California, PA, England, Germany and currently IL. We have taken our cats, dogs AND horses with us every step of the way. We do have an advantage as the company did pay expenses for moving one dog, one cat and one horse, but it was still a lot of money. But we never thought twice about -- they are our family, of COURSE they are coming with us.

Additionally, I would mention, we never had any problems with transporting our animals.

Cheers,
                        Karen

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas&Fam View Post
                          but there are just so many dangers associated with shipping them and with the quarantine process!
                          I know. It worries us too. We are relocating to Ecuador in the spring/summer of '11. I am praying my hardest that by some miracle I can find a company that charters missionaries into countries for a reasonable price. I know there are airlines that fly pets not in the cargo but up with their owners but none of those companies fly to other countries. Atleast I haven't heard of any yet and I've been searching. It's a long flight from NY to Ecuador & I don't know how well my dogs would do in cargo by themselves. If I could, I would ride down there with them.
                          sigpic
                          Tracy ~ wife(to Marshall) & mom to 3 skin kids (Devin, Cameron, Kaiden) & 2 fur kids (Cain & Leda) RIP my sweet Breech 8-12-09 to 9-18-10.

Comment

I was so nervous shipping our dog to Germany! Luckily they don't have any quarantine requirements there. He made it just fine on the plane ride though and I did all the things you are supposed to do when shipping a pet (ie make sure you notify the captain that you have a pet in cargo etc so you make sure they have it climate controlled). He was 100 pounds but able to be in an acceptable airline crate, with a Dane I think they are too big and have to go as cargo, right?

Comment

Oh my these people really make me mad.

My husband was about to join the military when we met. He had the papers ready to go, waiting on his desk. He decided not to join because he wanted to see where our relationship went. Well 4 years later, here we are, married and have 2 great danes. Now he is struggling to find work and he still wants to be in the military. I am supporting him 100%, so we went in to talk to the recruitment guys. We had tons of questions of course, but the one I kept bringing up was "what about the dogs". I will NOT under any circumstances give up my dogs. I don't care where we move to, my dogs are coming with me. They are as much a part of the family as my husband is. I have made it very clear to him that I support him in this decision, but if we can't take the dogs I will not be going with him.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X