Am I crazy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I crazy?

I'm wondering if your vet has a fairly confident assurance that the animal would have a good quality of life, how much (money, time, other resources) would you put into your pets to keep them alive and healthy if it had a treatable, but costly illness, accident, or other issue?

I'm dealing with this IRL right now because my cat was hit by a car yesterday. It looks like he's going to be ok after surgery to pin his pelvis back together (fractured in several places) and possibly amputate his tail (uncertain at this point, but it appears he many not be able to use it. Our initial estimate from the e-vet that we took him to was in the ballpark of $6,000 and several months of recovery time. We had Monster transfered to a veterinary teaching hospital where the vet says $3-5,000 is a generous estimate, she anticipates much lower, but the main factor in that decision was that he'll have top-notch care there and will be operated on by a board certified orthopedic surgeon.

I was willing to pay gladly any amount to have my little friend put back together, but I was just relieved he was ALIVE and fixable, but I was shocked at how many people discouraged me from "putting all that money into him--he's 'just' a cat." It was mostly my Dog-loving friends who I walk with at the dog park who suggested I euthanize my kitty and get another one. These are people who I know would spend thousands on their dogs, who have rescued and re-trained difficult dogs, who feed premium food or raw, and who generally CARE about their animals.

Is it strange that I'd spend almost anything to save my cat (or dog) knowing that he's likely to have a full recovery (did I mention he's only 18 months old)? For me, I knew this (car accident) was a risk when I decided to allow him to be an indoor-outdoor cat, and from the time I adopted him I've felt like it is my responsibility to care for him and provide him a good quality of life--even if it is expensive.

What lengths would you go to to keep your pets alive and happy? Is it different for your dogs than other pets?
    Last edited by rahime; 08-14-2010, 10:46 PM.
    sigpic
    Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

You aren't crazy at all, you took on the responsibility of his care. It shouldn't matter that he is a cat, what matters is that with this surgery he will lead a relatively normal life. He is young and has great chances of bouncing back. I say go for it.

No one should ever say it is just a cat/dog whatever...
    sigpic

Comment

Me ? I would max out my credit cards. And then borrow. I consider my pets to be my RESPONSIBILITY for their natural lifetime. As long as their lives are happy and they have the ability to enjoy and participate in the activities they love, then it is my responsibility to treat them. If the vet and myself believe that they cannot enjoy and participate in the activities that they love; then it is also my responsibility to make sure that they do not suffer or languish in pain.

That is probably the only reason I don't have more critters. The possible costs of good and appropriate vet care.

I have my parrot, tortoise, bunny and dog. We also have (have may not be the right word) a feral cat that kind of has adopted our yard. I feed her/him/it but cannot get near.

Comment

sorry to hear about your cat; I hope he'll make a full recovery.

sometime I think I'm crazy, but I'll spend as much as I can, and it does include credit cards. I'm joking that the most expensive pet in our house is a guinea pig, if I calculate money spent by weight of the pet
        We do what we can do; they are our responsibility, and they can't take care of themselves. But they're giving so much in return..

Comment

I agree, you do what you have to do for the animals you choose to take on. (Like Andy - exactly why we don't have 8 dogs instead of 4 )

Sending good healing vibes to kitty!
          Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
          - Anatole France

Comment

Heck, I vet my snakes if they get sick. This is one of the reasons we recently downsized the amount of snakes we have. We gave some of them away to friend's who we knew would care for them. We have one kid in college full time, and one doing a duel enrollment his senior year, so we are paying for college for him, as well. We want to make sure we have a number that we can responsibly handle. Besides, those snakes were coveted by the friends we gave them to, so I know they will be loved. We also have taken guinea pigs to the vet, our bearded dragons to the vet. It is part of having animals.
            Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
            Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
            RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

You're not crazy. DH is always talking about how his BIL treats their animals and it makes me crazy. He brought his cat to the vet for something where the vet suggested they do surgery. I don't remember what it was but it wasn't a real expensive surgery, <$1000. His response was "I can buy a lot of cats for that." They ended up putting her on special food instead. He treats their pets like cars. If it costs more to fix them than they're worth, scrap it and get a new one.
              Julie
              Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
              RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
              Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue Volunteer www.thegreatdanerescue.com
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I don't think we really have a dollar limit. It would come down to quality of life and as much credit as we could get.

Also, I know not everyone is a fan but we LOVE our pet insurance. After Tristan's broken leg, I don't think we'll ever do without pet insurance. Having the peace of mind is invaluable to us.
                - Missy

Tristan, born 3/23/10
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks, that re-inspires my hope for the human race.

I should add to be fair, that I was also shocked at the people who didn't argue about us spending so much on our cat. My parents, for one, who almost never took our dogs to the vet unless they needed a rabies shot or to be PTS, and my husband's parents, who never let him have pets when he was growing up and generally don't like animals. My in-laws even called today and told us they wanted to help with the cost of his surgery. They're really sweet (and for some reason think we're poor even though we have 2 incomes, no kids, no debt and essentially no major expenses) and know that my animals are considered family members and are basically my kids.

The vet yesterday said Monster was able to use his litterbox on his own. Never thought I'd be so happy to hear those words. Surgery is tomorrow or Tues. Cross your fingers, please, that it'll go well.
                  sigpic
                  Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                  You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
                  You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Comment

Working...
                  X