No announcement yet.

my pit and i need help from anyone ASAP....kinda long

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: UP-DATE A MUST READ FOR PEOPLE FOLLOWING THIS!!!

That is awesome!!! Like was said earlier, you are doing a great thing for yourself and Mia, but also for that girl, hopefully her mother will take better care of her.

Good job, I am very proud of you and that outcome!!!

HE HE HE, and you didn't have to shoot a mentally challenged kid with a paintball gun!

Comment

>HE HE HE, and you didn't have to shoot a mentally challenged
      >kid with a paintball gun!

or her mom!!!! :9

Comment

This is great news! Glad poor Mia won't be harrassed any longer, and glad the mom got "educated"! Maybe she'll keep a better eye on her daughter now. I don't think I saw, but how old was this child anyway?

V~ & Kritters http://kritterkorner.com/piggyspad/i...miles/1072.gif
        In memory of Henry~Forever in my heart my sweet boy.

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.
        - Joseph Joubert

Comment

Well, I grew up next door to my grandparent's pitbulls, and I have owned two, and I think that you have a long way to go before you can claim to have "scored one for the pitbulls". Grandma's dogs grew up playing with and accepting children of all shapes and sizes without targeting one that they 'just didn't like'. I mean ####, Froggie on Our Gang talked funny, but Petey never went psycho on him.

I'm not trying to pick on you because anyone who tries so hard to make things safe for their dog deserves a pat on the back - but I am disturbed by your willingness to justify why Mia acts the way she does towards the girl, because it's most definately NOT normal pitbull behavior. Anytime an owner cannot control the actions of their Pitbull, as you admitted, I think that no good can come of it. We assume a bigger responsibility when we own one of these dogs, and in many ways I can see that the situation you have probably caused more people to believe what they hear about pits as opposed to not.
          My best boy, Trooper.
          sigpic

Comment

I don't think the behavior has to do with the dog being a pit bull, it's the girl. My ma has worked with mentally challenged adults since I was very young. When I was still living with her she was working in a group home and they would stop by sometime because they wanted to see the puppies. Then we had my three terriers, my ma's blue healer, and my sister's terrier and doberman. Out of all of them only my Greg and Xena our healer would go near them. General and the Doberman would act aggressive if they came to near so they had to be put away before they came over, the other two just avoided them. Dogs can tell there is something not right no matter what breed they are. To the OP I'm glad you got this mess taken care of and that the mother finally found out she need to supervise her child.

Comment

i'm not sure i posted that but i think i might have mentioned it any way the girl is 15 with the mental age of about 10 (my best guess from her behavior and not just around Mia but people as well) Mia isn't this little girls only problem she also has personal space issues that many of us hold dear....when someone just gets to darn close and you backup and they keep comming. that is this little girl. i really feel bad for her and her mom things can't be easy for them but that doesn't make it right to harrass Mia-Pia Bread (lol @ her nick name in text!!!)

Comment

>Well, I grew up next door to my grandparent's pitbulls, and I
                >have owned two, and I think that you have a long way to go
                >before you can claim to have "scored one for the pitbulls".
                >Grandma's dogs grew up playing with and accepting children of
                >all shapes and sizes without targeting one that they 'just
                >didn't like'. I mean ####, Froggie on Our Gang talked funny,
                >but Petey never went psycho on him.

i am just glad that now i can work with Mia on this aggression issue WITH the girl. again let me make myself clear because i fear that i didn't before. MIA HAS NEVER BEEN A THREAT TO ANYONE SINCE SHE STARTED SEEING THE BEHAVIORLEST. and ummmm this girl does a lot more then "talk funny" she grabs and spookes (which i belive i posted in the orignal posting!)
                >
                >I'm not trying to pick on you because anyone who tries so hard
                >to make things safe for their dog deserves a pat on the back -

thank you.
                >but I am disturbed by your willingness to justify why Mia acts
                >the way she does towards the girl, because it's most
                >definately NOT normal pitbull behavior.

i am not justifying her behavior. if i was i wouldn't have taken her to the behav. in the first place. i was mearly giving the facts as i saw them.

Comment

thank you hun..........just THANK YOU!!!

Comment

>I don't think the behavior has to do with the dog being a pit
                    >bull, it's the girl. My ma has worked with mentally challenged
                    >adults since I was very young. When I was still living with
                    >her she was working in a group home and they would stop by
                    >sometime because they wanted to see the puppies. Then we had
                    >my three terriers, my ma's blue healer, and my sister's
                    >terrier and doberman. Out of all of them only my Greg and Xena
                    >our healer would go near them. General and the Doberman would
                    >act aggressive if they came to near so they had to be put away
                    >before they came over, the other two just avoided them. Dogs
                    >can tell there is something not right no matter what breed
                    >they are. To the OP I'm glad you got this mess taken care of
                    >and that the mother finally found out she need to supervise
                    >her child.

I feel like this statement has a very discriminatory tone to it, in particular the line about "dogs can tell if there is something not right". As I stated previously, my SIL is developmentally delayed. I've never seen a dog not like her or be wary of her. Yes, she sometimes confuses Benny by giving the wrong commands at the wrong time, but he certainly isn't afraid of her. I felt like this statement implied that disabled people are somehow less human than people without disabilities, and that kind of attitude really upsets me.

I know that people with disabilities can sometimes make sudden or jerky movements or have poor concepts of personal space, which can make people or animals uncomfortable if they are not used to it. Please clarify if that is what you meant and I'm just reading into this the wrong way.

Comment

I didn't mean to seem discriminatory at all. A handicap is something that is not normal, but doesn't make anyone less human. I should have used better wording. I was just trying to share that I have seen dogs act differently toward mental challenged people. I think it’s similar to the dogs that people have to let them know there are going to have a seizure. They can sense things that we humans can't. I think it would also depend on what type of problems they have. Ma mainly works with autistic and down syndrome people. I was trying to look at it from the dogs’ point of view and could see how they would see these people as different and possible scary. I'm friends with many of the people my ma has worked with over the years and still stop to visit them when I go home. So I understand why that upset you, it probably would have me too if I didn't know where it was coming from. I've seen the idiots that act like they're better than them or seem to think it they go to near they might catch it. I'm not like that, just an idiot that can't put my thoughts into words very well. It's taken me forever to write this and I'm trying to be as PC as possible. Since we are talking about a certain group of individuals I have kind of grouped them together with "theys" and "those type of people" I don't want anyone to take that the wrong way. I'm not trying to stereotype and I can't think of a better way to put it.

Comment

Some dogs are senstive to other people or animals with hewalth problems or a physical malady. That is what everyone is referring to.
                        A friend or mine had a dog that was like this. He met a dog who was deaf in one ear, and the fussed over that ear non stop. Another dog he met had cataracts, and he fussed about their face. He met a woman with cerebral palsey and fussed at her, and he met someone with lung cancer who had an oxygen machine and was crazy fussing over them.
                        It is a natural instinct and some dogs are more in tune with it than others.

Comment

Tiana,

Thank you so much for clarifying. I think I have just run into too many jerks while out with SIL! I'm also a little sensative on the topic from working in human services and encountering too many people that discriminate against the disabled. So sorry I misunderstood.

Comment

i just think that i should chime in here. i just want to let everone know that Mia isn't discriminatory at all either. my SIL has a mild case of CP and mia is extremly proctive of her and when they are together mia refuses to leave her left side ( the side most affected). Also if you rember in the postings i mentioned my friend acroos the street....she is a burn victam and has scaring over 35% of her body (mostly visable) and again mia is very proctive of her and listens and resonds to her every comand without being "treated" (lol mia is a smarty and can be selective about whom she listens to OUTSIDE of HER pack). so this is why i belive that mia's reaction to this girl is not due to the girls dosability BUT due to the spooking. i should have offered this info before but i didn't want my friends disability clouding the topic.
                            thanks all

Comment

Just wanted to keep all intrested people posted.

mia has now seen the behaviorlest three. the first time Mia was very distressed at the site of the girl and started growling then got in frount of me. it was in the behaviorlest oppion after observing the situation that mia thinks that this little girl is a threat to me and my family and that once she relises that this isn't the case that mia will not have the problem anymore.

on the second visit the mother nor the little girl showed up and she didn't on the third. i ran into her the other day and asked why she didn't show up and was told "you heard the lady it is the dogs issue with out and has nothing to do with my daughter" needless to say they have not come back reguardless of the messages that i and the behav. have left for her.

mia still shows some sighns of aggression towards this girl BUT no longer lunges at the sound of her voice. the behav. is now working on her with being less proctive of me and my kids. the behav. says that she has seen all that she needs to as far as the "triger" goes for TREATMENT via behavior modifacation but we will never know if the problem is truly gone with out the girl comming at least one more time in about 6 mths.

at this point i would like to thank you all for your supportand advice. and a special thank you to thoose who privet messaged me and e mailed me with loving words of support. if anyone is intrested in keeping up to date with this feel free to e mail me or pm me.
                              thank you all again,
                              :7

Comment

Working...
                              X